Location: Cleveland, Ohio (In-Person)
Start: Summer 2021
CapitalWorks is a private equity investment firm located in Cleveland, Ohio that makes control investments in lower middle market companies. We invest in industrial based businesses with $3 to $9 million of EBITDA.
With over two decades of investing experience in the lower middle market, we’ve deployed capital in businesses with greater than $500 million of cumulative enterprise value. We are looking for a summer associate to join our growing team in Cleveland for a ten-week period this summer.
The summer associate will be a contributing member of the investment team and involved in all aspects of investment and portfolio company management. You will play an integral role in sourcing platform and add-on investment opportunities, managing deal flow, completing due diligence, and executing transactions. Additionally, you will spend time executing specific pre-identified strategic projects for CapitalWorks’ portfolio companies to drive key value creation initiatives. In doing so, you will work with portfolio company management (i.e. CEOs/CFOs) to obtain data and insights, perform research, and craft actionable deliverables.
This is a unique opportunity that will give an MBA Candidates a blend of both opportunities to play a crucial role in deal execution and critical portfolio company projects (we expect your time to be split relatively evenly between live deals and portfolio company support projects, but this allocation may vary based on deal flow and other priorities).
The position requires an individual with strong leadership potential capable of executing on opportunities in a similar manner as a full-time deal team member. The ideal candidate will be given a high degree of autonomy in his/her work, especially in driving portfolio company projects to completion, and must possess a strong entrepreneurial spirit, be self-motivated, collaborative, and intellectually curious.
- Portfolio Company Initiatives – Lead portfolio company commercial, operational, and financial strategic value creation initiative projects – which may include financial analysis, add-on acquisitions, exit preparedness and readiness, and benchmarking of key performance indicators – by working directly with senior portfolio company leadership
- Investment Evaluation – Assist in the screening of CIMs and evaluation of new investment opportunities, executing transaction analysis as-needed in support of IOI and LOI bids
- Valuation & Financial Modeling – Provide complex financial modeling support for new investment opportunities (platform and add-on), evaluating transaction structuring impacts
- Investment Analysis – Conduct investment analysis, due diligence, and assist in the authoring and delivering investment memorandums; support underwriting/financing pursuits for active deals
- Industry and Market Research – Conduct industry research and market analysis for portfolio companies and new investments
Desired Skills and Experience
- Currently a first-year student at a full-time MBA program with expected graduation in 2022
- 2-4 years of private equity, investment banking, or corporate development; or 4-6 years of transactional advisory experience
- Excellent financial statement analysis, industry research, complex modeling, accounting principles, valuation and Microsoft Office skills
- Passion for investing and learning about new industries
- Ability to comprehensively analyze investment opportunities including a thorough evaluation of all aspects of a company’s business attributes
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including ability to dialog with senior management, senior partners and communicate effectively to the entire team
- Ability to work independently and meet demanding deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Strong ethics and values
Strong performance may result in being considered for a full-time offer, subject to staffing needs.
If you are interested in the position, please submit your resume and a brief note outlining your experience and interest in the position to Todd Martin.
This position will be in-person in Cleveland, OH and span 10 weeks, beginning June 1, 2021. CapitalWorks intends to begin interviews ASAP.
Todd Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org